Hello runners! This is for you. Ever feel that pain under your knee? I have and do occasionally. But ever since I started foam rolling my IT band, it pretty much stays away. So get on the foam roller band wagon now.
For an explanation and diagram showing the IT band, see my earlier post from this week.
But let's get down to foam roll business:
1. Roll your roller up in a yoga mat. Unless you have a Melt roller.
2. Start above the leg bone, right on the side hip/butt.
3. Roll back and forth 1-2 inches. Pause.
4. Rock back and forth. Pause.
5. Hold for 2-3 breaths and allow your muscles to relax and melt into the roller.
Now for the side of the leg:
1. Keep the roller in the mat.
2. Start at the top of the leg.
3. Roll back and forth several inches. To take pressure off, come onto hand and drop the top leg to the front or back. This shouldn't hurt!
4. Rock gently side to side. Again. if this hurts, go back to step 3.
5. Do figure eights on the side of the leg. If this hurts, go back to setp 3 or 4.
6. Repeat further down the leg, but stop right before the knee.
Repeat on other side.
Remember less is more. If it's too intense. back off and only do what feels good. Happy rolling!